Thursday 23 April 2009

Cinders On Ice - part 5 (Adelaide - Aug 2008)

So you might have guessed that I wasn't overly impressed with how things ended up after my chat with my boss, but I wasn't really sure where to go with it. He hadn't interviewed me so I could hardly say he misrepresented the job.

However there were more pressing things, yet again moving the show. The out from Melbourne seemed to take forever, but actually passed fast enough and before long we were on a plane to Adelaide. Landed, dropped bags off, slept for an hour or so and went in to pre rig that evening and what a lovely crew they have. Our first wagon to leave Melbourne had made very good time so they had tipped it for us!

After a bit of moving around of house masking (black material borders that the venue have in stock as they are the right width/ length for there venue) and hanging our headers (bits of set that frame the top of the 'picture' as you see it from out front) we were all done for the night, back in the next day and got the rest of the set up and the ice rick mat down for the ice guys to make ice on overnight. Off I went to the hotel, knackered and there I slept till the morning.

There I slept till about 20 minutes after my call. So while recreating the opening of Four Weddings And A Funeral I called our head of stage - who was my boss, but as we had a strange structure to our team it was never expressly stated that he was my boss - who was lovely, said I wasn't being missed and reminded me that for being late I had to buy doughnuts. So an hour late I trotted in, two dozen doughnuts in hand. I think secretly people were glad I was late.

We opened the show, bla bla bla, was all fine. local bar was good, I bought an aussie mobile. really enjoyed having an night in with, with for it, the international edition of The Guardian (I really ab Margo Leadbetter) a bottle of vodka, Tori Amos on the iPod and the longest bath known to man. It was well lush.

I also had a very long - and probably quite expensive call to Senga about work and although I forget what we talked about now, I know it helped.

I've just realised that I've not mentioned WelshLad recently, well we are still together, although this long distance thing isn't easy, easpecially with the time difference. Time shall tell.

At the end of the week we did our usual, it all packed away and a big pile of ice was left outside the loading bay and we were off into the night, off to Sydney - for four whole weeks without moving the show - where two new playmate would join us, but we would loose too two, although we only knew about one at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment