Wednesday 25 March 2009

So why is year dot now and not any other time?

This post isn't a flashback, this is how things are now as I write
(Mammy will be pleased and I don't mean my mother).

Out of all the points in my life way is moving to a small village the point of reference that I feel is appropriate to call year dot? Discuss

My initial thinking was that as I was providing a little brief background to the original facebook blog before continuing, then the start of that blog was the starting point. Naturally everything that came before was in that context history. However as I rambled on, telling a short story long, about what came before I got thinking.

I lived with my parents till I was 18. We had a big house in one of Glasgow's leafy suburbs and we never moved house. I applied to drama schools all over the country, but I felt the best place for me to train in stage management and technical theatre was RSAMD in Glasgow. I moved into a flat in the West End of Glasgow with a friend. Then I lived with another friend and was there till I graduated. I then lived with Senga and SR and then later KM. I had never lived in Halls. I had never lived with strangers. I had never lived outwith one city. I had never had my safety net removed. I had never pushed the boat out.

A lot of things had happened and I progressed from being a big fish in a small pond several times now and naturally learned with it. I had my own life and started to build a career, but what had I actually achieved, how far had I really spread my wings?

I probably am vastly underestimating my achievements prior to year dot, but once we've accept that we have learnt from and survived the past doesn't year dot moved forward. Isn't year dot a floating point?

There are also probably other factors at work in all of this present day thinking. In a few weeks I approach a magic number. That magic number was a review point I set at drama school for myself and have stuck to ever since. The plan was that when the going gets tough I stick with it and my first exit clause would be at this magic number. Looking back all has been rosie and, well I survived this far.

I am putting far more weight reflectively on the last year than any other year before. However in the last year, which is almost a year from 'year dot', I have. I have lived with strangers. I have lived outwith the one city. I have had my safety net removed and I have had the boat pushed out.

The observant will notice that just leaves living in halls of residence. Well lets compare my new pad. I share a house with 4 complete strangers. I have my kitchen cupboard in which anything sacred must be kept and the rest is communal. Okay I have never been woken up by the overly sensitive fire alarm at 5am, but its a bit like halls. If you need more proof look at the kitchen!

1 comment: