Sunday 29 March 2009

Cinders On Ice - part 1 (July 2008)

Now some of you may read this post and realise that I have mentioned these things before in my blogs of last year (that's where the links are pointed), but those posts are a bit crap. They completely fail to mention the ongoing problems at work and the dots aren't that well joined. However I think I can now include The Great Schism and all the other bits. Are you sitting comfortably ... then I shall begin.

Flight Over
So after an unsettled night (its a common trait of mine the night before) The Dr picked me up and took me to the station. I got down to Heathrow, checked in and got myself airside at T4. I planted myself in a bar, got some dinner and played the waiting game.

First to call was the DSM (Deputy Stage Manager), we spoke earlier that day and she was now through security. As we met up I got a call from our PM (Production Manager) and we all got together. PM had already rounded up No2 Lx (Deputy Chief Electrician), Master Carpenter and Technician.

After a few beers it was time to fly. We headed up to the gate and got settled in for a long flight. After supper the cabin lights were turned off so we could settle down or if not there was an endless supply of tv and films on the seat back screens. I got a little sleep and over breakfast got chatting to the lassy sat next to me. (I was sitting separately to everyone else.) She was an Australian engineer returning from Frankfurt and after a few tips about where had the best wineries she offered me her pass for the Qantas Lounge. She had bought a single use card, hoping that she would be able to use the BA lounge at Heathrow on her outbound trip, but hadn't been able to (Qantas and BA do share lounges - she wasn't some crazy lady).

At Bangkok we all met up in the bar and killed an hour or two, before we were ready to continue to Sydney. By the time we got to Sydney I felt minging and was less than impressed that we would have to go through security again before we would be allowed in as transfers. However once we got through and had a wander it was fine. The guys planted themselves in a corner and investigate breakfast. It was 6am Sunday local time, but our bodies were screaming that it was Saturday evening. I headed off to find the Business Lounge.

After a run in with a Qantas employee who had a foul attitude I was let in. (The one off ticket was fine, but the fact that my ticket to Auckland showed that although it was a Qantas booking, our carrier would be another airline that they route share with. I kicked off. "I have just flown from Heathrow with you, all my flights are booked direct with Qantas and I will be flying with you 11 times in four months". Not to mention Qantas sponsor the show. Her colleague took my ticket, smiled at me and said "Mr parcanboy, turn left as you enter the Business Lounge and you'll find the showers at the far end. Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything" She got a gold star and probably wanted rid of the smell.)

After a shower, clean clothes and lots of tea, toast, fruit, wifi and more tea and toast I was feeling much better. I headed back down to find the guys, who weren't feeling quite as perkie as I. We headed for the plane to Auckland and I decided that if I was going to die in a plane crash it was probably that plane - they couldn't even get the safety film to play for more than 10 seconds and then on attempt five it stopped short.

I slept for most of the flight, but not until we had flown over Sydney - it looked amazing, but at least I would be heading back there soon.

Auckland
After getting through customs and MAF - I love it they have fruit dogs and ask you about mud, seeds and sheep in the interests of, new word, Bio Security - we were met by our Tour Manager for New Zealand and Australia and some Australia staff. We clambered into a mini bus and had the quietest journey known to man. We arrived at the serviced apartments at about 6pm, dumped our stuff and headed out for dinner just around the corner - we were all shattered but all knew we had to eat.

Just down the road from the apartments was the theatre and just down the road from the theatre was a fantastic steak house. We all agreed it was fantastic meat, but were all a little too tired to fully appreciate how good the meat was. However we went back over the next three weeks, when we could fully appreciate the cuisine.

The following morning we went in and started to get the set in place and that's were the fun really began.

No comments:

Post a Comment