Monday 23 March 2009

A Bit of Background (2005-06)

In the early summer of 2005 and with graduation rapidly sneaking up on us, Senga and I started to think about the future. I wasn't overly impressed with the idea of having to actually work for an income, the arrangement where Bank of Mum & Dad paid me not to live at home nor eat their food worked well for me, and my weekend job was such a breeze that it never felt like work. However reality was looming - Council Tax.

I shared a lovely flat in town with a friend that I had know from primary school. The rent was fine and we didn't pay Council Tax as we were both students. However he was still going to be a student so i would have to pay 75% of the three grand bill!!! Reality loomed.

We hit upon the idea that a nice little flat with a low council tax band was best and that if we got a three bed flat we would probably all end up paying a little less. And so we did just that. Senga's old flatmate SR joined us and we hired a van and moved. We actually spent the day glued to the radio while moving - that was London 7/7/2005.

I did a show at the Edinburgh Festival traveling back and forward for the month and then went to the Citizens Theatre in Glasgow as an Assistant Stage Manager (ASM) for the winter season. My first proper show was What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, how camp and how apt. Our Christmas show was Charlotte's Web and one of our ensemble was a chap I had trained with. I had a blast at the Citz, but sadly my contract was only up till Christmas. Its a good way to wake up on New Years Day - unemployed!

I had an interview on the 4th January for Theatre by the Lake (TbtL) in Keswick and then for Theatre Royal York the day after, both for ASM positions, starting at the end of February. I was offered both and decided on TbtL. I just had to fill two months, so I learned to drive. I got a cancellation appointment for the first test of the day the day I left for Keswick, passed and got the train.

Along the way my nine week contract with TbtL turned into a years contract, I bought my first car, a red Ford Ka, and had a fab year. Our team were mostly fab and we had a laugh. My shows were On Golden Pond, Private Lives (book cover), Loot (book), After Miss Julie and Sinbad: The Untold Tale!

Somewhere along the way SR moved out of the flat in Glasgow and one Sunday Senga and I held auditions/ interviews for a new flatmate. Over tea and biscuits we found KM and she liked us and we liked her, so she moved in.

About a week before I finished in Keswick my Ka had an accident and my insurance told me it was no more my car, but I would get a cheque for a shiny new one.

It was early January 2007, my contract was finished and off I went back to live full time in Glasgow, rather than straddling between two homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment